Saturday, December 7, 2019

Hathersage to Totley

I travelled to Hathersage today and got off at the bus stop nearest to the church. After taking some photographs in the vicinity of the church I headed off to the east up a country lane and then along footpaths taking me up on to the moors.

First of all though, as I was walking down the road I passed a runner who was carrying a large yellow sign with the words 'Caution Runners' written on it in large letters - there must have been an organised road race this morning.





A woman is already buried in the churchyard before she's even dead.



I passed by a farm where there are several old decrepit caravans hidden away.



It was pretty decent lighting conditions for taking photographs on the moors.






I climbed up to the summit of Higger Tor and then crossed over to Carl Wark but turned to the left before attempting this summit as well...it's not difficult though. I wanted to head directly across the moors to the Hathersage road and then make my way down through the woods to Totley.











I took this photograph just after I'd entered the woods - I don't think it's a bench or a seat, it's too small and too low; I think it's something for scarping your boots on to remove the mud before getting into your car. There's a  lay-by just opposite.



As I walked further into the woods I came across a working party of mountainbikers repairing the surface of the bridleway. For a while, walking just a few yards in front of me there was a petite young woman with her bike slung over her shoulder, gripping a pickaxe in her left hand, and a trenching shovel tucked under her right elbow - very impressive...but a bit scary.

There was some quite pleasant pastoral countryside at the bottom of the hill as I approached the houses. I finished by walking down to Abbeydale Road South and caught a bus back to the city centre.

UPDATE: the object featured in the final photo is to facilitate horseriders mounting and dismounting. 






1 comment: