Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Deepcar to Penistone

I needed to travel on the tram for part of the journey to Deepcar at the start of my walk this morning. When the tram reached Hillsborough the driver had to get out of his cab and manually change the points; I've never seen that done before, so they must have been faulty. It only took him a few seconds and so there was no delay.

There was nothing to photograph at Deepcar and so I headed north to the Barnsley Boundary Walk. 

It wasn't long until I came across an unexpected hazard:



The reason for the sign is that shunting operations for the steelworks probably reach beyond this point and sometimes wagons will be moving slowly, and silently, and the driver in the locomotive will be few dozen yards away out of site around the bend in the track. Maybe occasionally there are long delays here for pedestrians using the level crossing - looking at the map I could see an alternative route though that wouldn't cause too much inconvenience.

About two miles further on I discovered that I was walking along a classification of footpath that I'd not been previously aware of - the sign explains it all. The sign was lying on the ground; interestingly it wasn't covered up by the fallen leaves. 


Along this section I was walking along the route of the old railway which was used for transporting men and supplies during the construction of Langsett Reservoir. I also passed right next to a glass fronted building that must be four hundred yards long.

I left the Barnsley Boundary Walk just before I reached Langsett and headed north, up through a small wood and then across the fields and down a country road to Penistone. I had decided to cut short the walk because it had started to rain. The weather was lovely and sunny when I was walking in rather uninteresting and definitely not scenic countryside, but as soon as I reached wide open countryside where electricity lines and pylons and mobile phone masts weren't spoiling the views the weather turned for the worse.

There was a dead sheep with its eyes pecked out in a field at the side of the road, but I decided not to photograph it...a bit later I took this photograph though.


I didn't know anything about these historical features near the railway in Penistone.







A train had just departed for Barnsley and Sheffield and so I walked into the town centre and caught a bus to Barnsley, and then another bus back to Doncaster.

The final photograph features the market hall at Penistone - despite its appearance, it's actually a quite modern building.




No comments:

Post a Comment