Saturday, September 15, 2018

Walking Along York City Walls [Part I]

I was treated by my friend Justin today; he paid my train fare to York. He visited the book fair at the racecourse and I stayed in the city centre, walking along the city walls and then just wandering around the central streets near the minster. [Although I have a free travel pass for local trains, I can only use it to go to Leeds and Sheffield.]

The entire circuit of the city walls is over two miles...but I walked a lot further than that today. I started across from the railway station and went in a clockwise direction. Most of the defensive walls are intact; there are a couple of short sections missing, and no wall was ever built in the east where the River Foss and marshland provided natural protection. So...at times I had to walk back into the city, and obvious took some photographs there as well.

I took a lot of photographs today, so many in fact that there are too many for just the one blog post - so I've split today's photographs into two postings. Today I'm just including the photos I took walking along the walls, tomorrow in part two I'll post the rest, when I was in other areas of the city centre.












































































Fishergate Postern Tower was open to the public today and I went inside; there wasn't anything interesting inside and so I didn't use my camera - I did enjoy the experience of climbing up the dark, narrow, steep, spiral staircase right to the top though. 



Clifford's Tower isn't part of the city walls, it's all that remains of the castle.










END OF PART ONE



No comments:

Post a Comment