Friday, September 21, 2018

Totley, Holmesfield, Millthorpe, Unthank, Baslow...and Sheffield

I caught the bus to the Cross Scythes pub at Totley this morning and walked down Totley Hall Lane; at the bottom I had a choice of two footpaths to take and I chose the left one, taking the route of the Sheffield Country Walk. After a couple of fields I'd crossed over into Derbyshire and continued heading south for Holmsfield, leaving the Sheffield Country Walk at Woodthorpe Hall.






As I was walking through a wood I noticed thousands of small acorns on the ground; they were tiny, no bigger than my fingernail. The acorns in my back garden must be four times larger.

As I approached Holmesfield I had to punch an aggressive tarpaulin on the nose - it wouldn't let go of me.





The church  is late Georgian [1826].









It was a pleasant walk in the sunshine continuing southwards to Millbridge and then heading west towards the tiny hamlet of Unthank.







I passed a couple of properties at Unthank before turning south again but went the wrong way in Meekfield Wood. I easily managed to walk over to the road though; this road marks the eastern edge of the Peak District National Park here. 



At the junction with the next road I turned west and entered inside the boundary of the national park and kept on walking until I reached a footpath that goes across Big Moor and then another footpath which eventually leads down to Baslow, passing by the Wellington Monument. On the way I didn't miss the opportunity to photograph this unusual road sign; I'm sure it will start off a good discussion thread on the 'Geo Geeks' Facebook page when I ask them if anyone's got a similar photograph with two destinations with only the one letter different in their names.





The Highland cattle are very good at posing for the camera.






It was a relatively early finish today before the rain set in; I got some bargains in Sheffield and then took some photographs in the rain.


















No comments:

Post a Comment