Monday, September 10, 2018

Stoney Middleton, Rowland, Great Longstone, Ashford in the Water...and Sheffield

When I got off the bus at Stoney Middleton I immediately noticed this wayside shrine to Saint Bertram, I think it's only been recently added.



I then walked up the High Street, reputedly one of the steepest in England, and it wasn't long until I was several hundred foot higher than the bottom of the village.



I took a footpath over to my left, leading down into Coombs Dale and then up a side valley heading south towards Rowland.





After passing Rowland it was an easy flat walk to Great Longstone.


My boots weren't muddy at all and so I went inside the church.














I then walked down the road towards Thornbridge Hall, passing by the old railway station.


A few minutes later I got some glimpses of the hall.







I continued down the road and a stretch of footpath to Ashford in the Water; I didn't have long to wait for the bus to Bakewell, from where I caught the next bus back to Sheffield.

An early finish today; a blister had formed in the little toe of my left foot and was rubbing sore. I had a full puncture kit in my rucksack, corn plasters, fabric dressing, and lint, but didn't fancy continuing any further. Today has been my third day in a row walking and I'd had enough.

I got off the bus a few stops early in Sheffield and got some bargains from the indoor market, some fish, a bag of clementines, some scones...and a couple of large Bakewell tarts.

I also took some photographs in the city centre as I walked down to the railway station.












No comments:

Post a Comment