Friday, June 8, 2018

Spitewinter, Nether Loads, Chanderhill, Old Brampton, Cutthorpe, Newgate, Holmesfield, and Totley

A cold, damp, dark and miserable day...more like February than June.

After yesterday's drilling and filling at the dentist's my toothache is worse than it was before, but she did tell me it would be for a couple of days. So, the oil of cloves was essential today.

I travelled to Spitewinter today which is on the way to Matlock and started by walking along the road that heads west past what remains of an old mine. The adjacent farm is called Pig of Lead Farm .



It was then easy to find the footpath which goes through Coronation Wood and then I was walking across fields and along country lanes until I reached Frith Hall. One section was quite overgrown and I got covered in thousands of seeds...and not just my boots, but right up to my armpits.



Just beyond Frith Hall I spotted the steeple of the church at Old Brampton; this made navigating easy for the next mile or so.

I was able to go inside the church.









The bridleway to Linacre Reservoirs was clearly marked, but then I had a choice of confusing paths to continue my walk. I opted to make my way to the western edge of Cutthorpe village and then found more footpaths until I arrived at Holmesfield. There were a few short sections of roadwalking and along one of these was when I took this photograph. 


My route through Holmesfield took me past the church.



The heaviest rain of the day was falling for the final couple of miles to Totley and so I just walked as fast as I could. The 218 bus arrived late at the bus stop and this worked to my advantage - I was expecting to have to wait for twenty five minutes for the next bus to the city centre. My advantage was only temporary though since I had to wait over half an hour at the railway station for a train to Doncaster; this is far from an acceptable level of service during the evening rush hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment