Monday, June 4, 2018

Baslow, Edensor, Bakewell, Rowsley, Stanton Woodhouse, Stanton Lees, Warren Carr, Darley Bridge, and Darley Dale

I needed to pack an extra item in my rucksack last night, a small bottle of oil of cloves. I've been having a bit of toothache recently and it's the best thing I know for easing the pain. Fortunately I've an appointment with the dentist on Thursday for my regular six monthly check-up.

The bus was ten minutes late setting off from Sheffield but I still arrived at Baslow for 9:15. The driver let some passengers travel without paying if he didn't have any change and so this speeded things up a little.

These houses at Baslow are the first of many pretty cottages I photographed today.




Preparations are well under way for the Flower Show that starts at Chatsworth House on Wednesday.





I walked over to Edensor; there are so many delightful cottages to see here.





















It was a steady climb up to Ballcross Farm followed by a steep descent through the woods to the Monsal Trail at Bakewell Station. There was a lot of heavy farm traffic on the road at the top of the hill, large powerful tractors towing long, tall, wide, and unstable trailers. It really was a tight squeeze at one point when two tractors passed at the same time going in opposite directions and I had to wedge myself tightly up against a dry stone wall that I was terrified would collapse on top of me.



When I reached the end of the Monsal Trail at Coombs Viaduct I took the easy route to Rowsley along Coombs Road, which at this point is only a gravel track though.

I continued going south to Stanton Woodhouse and then along the road to Stanton Lees.

It was then all downhill to Darley Bridge, passing Warren Carr and Enthoven's.









The final stretch to Darley Dale was flat, walking across pastures. My bus to Bakewell arrived on time and so did my two other public transport connections.

I had time in Bakewell to look round the market and bought some socks that were only £1 for a pack of three; I bought two packs.

I didn't need to use the oil of cloves...I'm now wondering though if it might work by numbing my feet when they're sore. I promise not to ask the dentist on Thursday.









1 comment:

  1. Whats the score with the contaminated land? Great write up

    ReplyDelete