Sunday, January 7, 2018

Fox House, Grindleford, Eyam, and Hathersage

I travelled to Fox House, walked through the Longshaw Estate and arrived at the Grouse Inn up on the moors before descending to Grindleford.







En route I did a slight detour to the summit of Tumbling Hill to enjoy the panoramic views.













I took some photos of the church in the village, it's not very old, before climbing up to the footpath which heads southwards above the the houses to reach Goatscliff farm; there was a lot of fast flowing water in the beck and I struggled to cross the stepping stones, which were several inches underwater today.





I decided to walk along the road to Eyam, which has been closed for the last few years because of landslips - access has been blocked off using giant concrete Lego bricks.











I climbed out of Eyam, heading northwards for Bretton Clough; this photograph was taken from high up looking back towards the fields to the west of Eyam...they could be paddy fields in South East Asia if you use a bit of imagination.





I headed down towards the clough taking a path I hadn't used before and soon got lost as it disappeared. I soon found my way though, locating a more familiar path and then, after already having tightened my belt to the final hole, I had to use a piece of string that I always carry in my rucksack to tie tightly around my waist to prevent my trousers from falling down...I usually lose at least five pounds on a walk, maybe half a stone.

A few minutes later I walked past a large hairy photographer and his petite female 'friend' who was wearing a long heavy faux fur coat, and probably not a lot underneath - we all exchanged knowing glances, but nothing was said.







Just outside Hazelford Hall I slipped on some black ice on the road. I'll have some bruises, but that will be all. Fortunately I know how to fall in order to minimise injury - I learned how to do this on a performing arts course at college which I attended hoping to improve my communication and social skills.

I continued to walk along the road to Hathersage and arrived fifteen minutes before the bus did.

I estimate that I walked ten miles today, and added to the seven miles that I did yesterday means that I've now walked seventeen miles so far this year. I'm logging my mileage; I've joined a Facebook group for people aged over forty who are attempting to walk a thousand miles this year - we'll all be able to regularly make updates and support and encourage each other.






No comments:

Post a Comment