Saturday, January 6, 2018

Bawtry, Austerfield, Newington, Misson, and Finningley

Today I visited the village of Misson on my walk; there's nothing particularly interesting to see there but it's somewhere I've always wanted to visit - just out of curiosity because although the village is in Nottinghamshire, and is the furthest north location in the county, in order to reach there by road you need to drive through areas of either Yorkshire or Lincolnshire.

I started my walk at Bawtry, a small pretty market town on the Great North Road.
















I needed to walk along the road to the southern end of Austerfield, and then the turn-off for Misson. Just beyond Newington Hall as I was looking at my map to check the exact location of the first footpath I needed to take I received some verbal abuse from some young men in a white van; I'm good at ignoring this type of thing [it happens to me about once a week] but it's made me become very hard emotionally. If I ever had a soul it's now as hard as stainless steel...and just as cold.

For a couple of hundred yards the footpath went alongside the River Idle; along this stretch there was an unpleasant smell coming from some sort of industrial facility that was shrouded in steam or mist...a pungent, fishy, rotten, sickly odour.

The area near to the church in Misson is quite pleasant, but there's also a lot of bland modern housing in the village.



I continued along a track across the fields which eventually passed right next to Bawtry Golf Club and driving range. I then crossed the busy A614 road and the footpath continued through woodland and some grassy fields to Finningley, coming out quite close to the church.









A black and white day today for photography: Although it was quite dark at times and even drizzled a bit there were still some long periods of sunshine...they just didn't happen when I was taking any photographs.

I arrived home at just after one o'clock - it was only a half day's walking. That's alright though because it should be a much better day tomorrow and I've already got my route worked out for my walk in the Peak District.

No comments:

Post a Comment