Sunday, June 7, 2015

A Trip To Fort Paull and Hull Waterfront

The first trip out with the autism group today, which was meant to be quite relaxing for me after yesterday's ten mile walk in the White Peak.That wasn't how it turned out to be though, but I'm not complaining; I don't mind tiring myself out when I'm enjoying myself.

Fort Paull, about five miles east of Hull, right on the bank of the Humber, was better than I expected; lots of opportunities to explore, both on the surface and down below...and on the battlements, which had nice views of the Humber.





The highlight of the visit was the opportunity to climb right inside the cockpit and cargo area of a large military transport plane; this required climbing a lot steps, two or three ladders, walking along walkways and gangways, opening hatches...and ducking my head and stooping quite a bit. Myself and another member initially had the aircraft to ourselves and so I could explore and take photographs without anyone getting in the way.

The best photographs were taken looking through the dirty portholes at the propellers.





Later, I also walked along the ramparts and tried sitting in the place where the gunner would sit on a couple of the large pieces of artillery; it was cramped and very uncomfortable.

The second part of the day was spent in Hull city centre. I visited the Ferens Art Gallery and the Maritime Museum with a few members of the group and then went down to the marina and the waterfront on my own.




No comments:

Post a Comment