Friday, July 1, 2022

Great Longstone, Bubnell, and Baslow

I caught the local bus from Bakewell to Great Longstone and walked along Churlpit Lane, a green lane heading out to the northwest. I headed north along a country road for a few hundred yards and then took a path which went over the edge of Longstone Moor. 


















I took a well-defined path going along the slope of Longstone Edge but it led to a dead-end, so I had to turn back. This normally doesn't happen as I usually plough ahead and find a way but the route today was blocked with tipped silage, discarded barbed wire, heaps of soil and manure and piles of rock and rubble, and it was very overgrown and uneven ground so I don't know what else might have been lurking there. Since I've got home and looked at a zoomable map online it seems that it isn't actually a footpath.

I then took the quarry road going to the east, to which comes down onto the Calver to Hassop road. I crossed the road and continued, going down another country lane to Bubnell and caught the bus back to Sheffield at Devonshire Bridge at Baslow.

There was very little bright weather today and for a short period it even rained quite heavily; I had to briefly take shelter in a copse.

The old quarry road is quite rocky in places and I stubbed my toe and caused the sole on my left boot to partially detach. I think that's the third or fourth time this has happened - with different boots of course. I always carry a spare pair of socks in my rucksack, one of  which I used for a makeshift repair to get me back safely to the bus stop.



No comments:

Post a Comment