Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Owler Bar, Lydgate, Horsleygate, Unthank, Moorhall, Rumbling Street, Johnnygate, Millthorpe, Holmesfield, and Totley

I travelled to Owler Bar today, right on the boundary of the Peak District and walked down the road to Lydgate and then took the path going across the fields to Horsleygate: I could hear the noise of a lot of dogs barking coming from a property located down in the valley.
















I was now heading south and continued along the road to Unthank and then couldn't find the next path. I think it was sited right next to a rather large house, but a dog ran out and was being quite aggressive and so I continued walking along the road until I reached another suitable footpath going to Moorhall. By the time I'd reached this footpath, apart from one very short section I'd been walking along the exact national park boundary for two miles. Like everywhere else I'd visited so far Moorhall is only a hamlet as are Rumbling Street and Johnnygate which would be the next two places I'd be arriving at.

At Barlow Grange I headed east and began the return leg of my journey back towards the southwestern suburbs of Sheffield. I soon changed direction to the north passing through Rumbling Street and Johnnygate to reach Millthorpe, somewhere that's large enough to qualify as a village.

It was then only half a mile to the church at Holmesfield; it's not particularly old and I think it's a rather unattractive building. This was the best photograph I could manage.




I finished the walk at Totley, a mile and a half away. This horse in a field, just south of Totley got far too friendly for my liking.








No comments:

Post a Comment