Saturday, August 31, 2019

Fox House, Upper Padley, Grindleford, Eyam, Highcliffe, and Hathersage

I got to the bus station at Sheffield as early as I could this morning and then caught the first bus going out to the Peak District, the 272 bus to Castleton, and travelled to Fox House.

I walked down Padley Gorge to Grindleford Station. As I was walking alongside the Burbage Brook I passed a tree festooned with several items of male and female underwear - well it was a good location for a picnic.

Near to the place where people park their cars there's a temporary display board illustrating all the ways a wildfire could be started...discarded underwear wasn't mentioned.



Looking over to my left towards Longshaw Lodge I could see that it's the sheepdog trials this week. 

A bit further on I finally located the 'money tree' today.





I found more abandoned clothing as I neared Upper Padley, this time a gray tee-shirt - it's not that unusual for me to see items of clothing when I'm walking - it's just that today I decided to take note of them all.

Grindleford Station is at the bottom of the path that goes down Padley Gorge, the old waiting room is now a popular café - it was early when I passed and I don't think it was open yet.

I continued down the hill to the village.



Unfortunately there's no footpath that goes from Grindleford to Eyam but much of the way is now an abandoned road, and a footpath does go for part of the way via the Riley Graves...and this was the route I chose today.

I had a pot of tea at the Eyam Tea Rooms; there were some lovely cakes and savoury pastries on display but at 10:30 it was too early for me to indulge though. I spent a bit of time looking at the map and deciding where to go next...until my attention and imagination were distracted by something I spotted on one of the nearby shelves, packets of teapigs, 'biodegradable tea temples.'

I didn't know beforehand but it was welldressing and carnival day at Eyam, although the parade wouldn't start until 2:30, long after I'd left the village.

I walked through the village and took some photographs.




I could feel the heat from the fire as I passed the sheep roast.







I climbed up to Highcliffe and then down into Bretton Clough. 



On the approach to Torr Farm there are several dozen different varieties of fruit tree which have been planted fairly recently in a row at the side of the footpath.



The way back to Hathersage took me near to Hogg Hall and some potentially explosive daffodil bulbs planted in the ground - a new way to keep trespassers off your property I suppose.



I spotted one final item of 'clothing' as I was walking on the causeway near Hathersage; a walking boot that looked almost new.
















No comments:

Post a Comment