Saturday, June 1, 2019

Brierlow Bar, Earl Sterndale, Crowdicote, Pilsbury Castle, Monyash, Flagg, and Taddington

I can use my bus pass all day in Derbyshire at Weekends and so I got to Bakewell as early as possible this morning and then caught the nine o'clock TransPeak bus to Brierlow Bar to go exploring the Upper Dovedale area of the Peak District. There was nothing to see at Brierlow Bar; there's only a bookshop and a cafe there and they weren't open when I arrived there.

I immediately headed south down the road, going past some of the buildings and machinery associated with Hindlow Quarry, and then continued along a bridleway going right along the southern rim of the active area of the quarry.

The footpath down to Earl Sterndale finishes by you needing to walk down some steps in someone's very well tendered front garden.



I couldn't resist taking these two photographs of the pub.





I think the church is quite recent.



The next footpath was hidden round the back of the pub, but then well signposted up and over the eastern flank of Hitter Hill and then continuing parallel to the River Dove. Staffordshire is only a few hundred yards away across the river; I visited Longnor the last time I was in this area a few weeks ago; today I stayed in Derbyshire though...although at one point I was no more than ten yards from the county boundary [formed by the river so I couldn't just step across.]





It was mostly easy walking along a track going towards Crowdicote, except when I had to pass through a farmyard and walk in six inches of fresh, sloppy cow shit. 

Crowdicote is only a hamlet.







My route today took me past Pilsbury Castle.









I crossed the High Peak Trail only a few hundred yards west of Parsley Hay but decided to forego the opportunity for refreshments because I had plenty of lemon cordial in my rucksack to drink, and a couple of emergency chocolate covered flapjacks. I checked my map, watch, and bus timetable and then knew that I had nearly two hours remaining if I wanted to catch the 14:58 bus at Taddington. I kept bearing this in mind but didn't really need to rush until I was approaching Taddington.

The church was open at Monyash; there's nothing interesting inside to look at, and there were two painted plaster religious statues that I didn't like at all.








I didn't have time to queue for an ice cream at the tea rooms.


After rushing for the final ten minutes I just had the time at Taddington to catch my breath before I caught the bus going to Bakewell. Less than a mile after leaving the village the driver pulled in to a lay-by and walked to the back of the bus and opened a panel - he left it open for a couple of minutes for the engine to cool down. A couple more minutes later he stopped again, this time to offer a 'lift' to a hiker who was walking on the wrong side of the busy, and dangerous, main road...the hiker politely declined his offer,.











No comments:

Post a Comment