Sunday, February 10, 2019

Bamford, Shatton, Brough, Bradwell, and Castleton

A young couple got on the bus in front of me at Sheffield bus station and asked to go to Leeds and the driver told them this was the wrong bus. They showed him something on a mobile phone and the woman kept waving a ten pound note in his face and constantly said 'Wherever...wherever.' After a couple of minutes the driver issued them with tickets and they got on and travelled to Broomhill. I travelled to Bamford station and then walked the short distance along the road to Shatton. I then took a path which goes across the fields at the back of the houses to  Townfield Lane, a narrow holloway with a footpath running alongside in an adjacent field...a few feet higher up of course though. The reason for this footpath is that using the holloway would have been dangerous - there would be nowhere to get out of the way of an approaching vehicle.



It was the first time I'd noticed this rather large boat on a small pond in the far corner of the field.


There were some nice views as I continued to Brough and headed south across the fields to Bradwell.
Just before reaching Brough I met a large group of walkers dressed up as leprechauns.







I climbed up and out of Bradwell by taking a route I'd not used before, and then it was fairly level as I walked along green lanes, bridleways and footpaths to reach the grassy expanse of Bradwell Moor. I was unfortunate to be delayed by a Landrover safari, needing to squeeze up tight against a gate to let them pass...I don't really want to be tasting diesel fumes up close when I'm walking in the Peak District.







I then turned north and headed for Castleton, entering the village by the Winnats Pass. It was snowing as I walked down the pass, it was settling and the cars were struggling, both going up the hill and down.















I had nearly an hour to wait for the bus so I popped into the Peak Hotel for a pot of tea and to warm myself up for a few minutes. Muddy boots and smelly dogs are welcome inside, it didn't mention anything about muddy trousers though...I sat in a dark corner, out of sight and out of the way. 






No comments:

Post a Comment