Saturday, November 24, 2018

Meadowhead, Dronfield, Dronfield Woodhouse, Mickley, Totley Bents, Fox House...and then Sheffield

I caught the X17 bus from Sheffield and travelled to Meadowhead and walked south at the side of the dual carriageway over into Derbyshire.


I turned to go down the local road leading to Dronfield but soon branched off to the right taking a country lane which goes under the bypass; I was now heading west towards the Peak District. Once the metalled surface ended I took a sharp left, briefly walking south again through a lovely tree tunnel for quite a long distance until there was open sky above my head again.

I soon reached a spot where the word 'aqueduct' is marked on the map. I was very disappointed; all there was to see was a boxed pipeline crossing over a railway cutting - the railway is the busy Midland Main line which goes all the way to London.

The countryside was quite pleasant but I couldn't really enjoy it because of the weather; it was quite misty and dark.

About half an hour later I ended up walking through a housing estate at Dronfield Woodhouse by mistake, but I soon picked up my route again at Mickley...where I found an interesting subject at a farm to photograph in black in white.



You can take your pick as to what you call the next section of footpath I walked along.



I continued westwards until I reached the bus terminus just to the south of Totley; there was a bus waiting but it was only 11:30 and the weather was improving so I walked along the road for a short distance and then took the footpath down to Totley Bents.

I joined a well-maintained narrow country road for a few hundred yards before picking up the Sheffield Country Walk again. A couple of minutes later I was startled by the noise of a train passing through Totley Tunnel - I was standing only a short distance from one of the air vents



I couldn't work out where the path went next and so re-traced my steps and continued to walk on the road, leading up to the moors. When the metalled surface finished there was a broad track going across the moors all the way to Fox House.

Recently there had been an orienteering event held here.





I had twenty minutes to wait for the bus at Fox House; the sun was just breaking through the clouds and presented me with the opportunity to take these two photographs from the back of pub car park.





I bought some salmon bellies and Bakewell tarts from Sheffield Market...and took some more photographs as I made my way back to the railway station.






No comments:

Post a Comment