Tuesday, November 20, 2018

'Fifteen Experiences You Need To Tick Off Your Peak District Bucket List' - taken from the 'Experience Peak District and Derbyshire' website

1...Go paragliding at Mam Tor: I've climbed up Mam Tor plenty of times and seen the paragliders but there's no way I'm trying it myself...I haven't even flown in an aeroplane.

2...Take a dip in the Slippery Stones Plunge Pool: I don't like water so I won't be doing this. It's a lovely area to go walking though.

3...Climb on Stanage Edge: I've actually climbed up to the top of Stanage Edge, there are plenty of easy routes up - of course the experience in the article is referring to climbing using ropes, carabiners, and whatever other climbing equipment is required.

4...Watch the sunrise or sunset over Ladybower Reservoir: I use public transport to get to the Peak District, so this is going to be difficult to arrange...and anyhow I don't want to be high up on the moors when it's dark.

5...Go paddleboarding at Carsington Water: I'm not even sure what paddleboarding is but if it's on water I'm not going to be trying it.

6...Cycle up Winnats Pass: I enjoy watching the cyclist struggling going up as I'm walking down. 

7...Go abseiling at Burbage Quarry: I went abseiling once and really loved it, nearly thirty years ago on an outward bound course staying at Bollington in Cheshire - I think it might have been Burbage Quarry where we went. I've seen people abseiling from one of the railway bridges in Chee Dale; there's a dedicated area set aside.

8...Find a Highland cow on Baslow Edge: I've done this plenty of times. they are very photogenic and love to pose for the camera.

9...Swing through the trees at GoApe in Buxton: No thank you.

10..Reach the top of the Crooked Spire in Chesterfield: I'd like to do this. I've taken photographs of the outside of the church but I don't think I've been inside the building yet.

11..Go to a gig at Peak Cavern: Interestingly the cavern has now reverted to its old, pre-Victorian name of the Devil's Arse.

12..Take part in a local sporting event: several are listed in the article but I haven't been to any of them.

13..Get a bird's eye view on a helicopter flight or hot air balloon ride: unless I can use my free travel pass I won't be able to afford either of these activities. I've seen the sightseeing helicopter land at Owler Bar a couple of times.

14..Walk part of the Pennine Way: I've done the first couple of miles, starting in Edale.

15: Make your own Bakewell Pudding: I can't bake and struggle to even manage the most basic cooking tasks so I won't be doing this...and  I'm ashamed to admit that I prefer Bakewell Tarts.





No comments:

Post a Comment