Thursday, May 24, 2018

My Favourite Places in Nottinghamshire

Although most of my blogposts are about my walks in the Peak District I still regularly visit neighbouring Nottinghamshire, either to go walking, or for trips out in the car with Siobhan, my support worker.
Blyth: Although it's only just over the county boundary and easy to get to I only recently visited Blyth for the first time. The central area is very photogenic, there's a village green, an impressive parish church which used to be an abbey, a large mediaeval building that I'm not sure what it is, and a couple of large, old pubs.
Chesterfield Canal: I've walked along the canal from West Stockwith, where it joins the River Trent, to the county boundary near Thorpe Salvin...not all in one go though. My favourite section goes from Gringley-on-the-Hill to Retford.
Clumber Park: An obvious choice; very popular, and family friendly. An easy, pleasant walk around the lake. Strangely enough, no-one's mobile phone seems to work here.
Everton: A pretty village on the road to Gainsborough.
Gringley-on-the-Hill: A few miles east of Everton. A pretty hilltop village which reminds me of my favourite Doncaster/South Yorkshire village, Hooton Pagnell. Wide-ranging views from the top of Beacon Hill.
Newark-on-Trent: A traditional busy market town, the castle, church, and Market Place are lovely.
Nottingham: I love visiting the castle, but there are plenty of other things to see.
Retford: Apart from Bakewell, Retford is my favourite local town. I regularly visit; the Market Place and King's Park are the best areas.
Rufford Abbey: A beautiful lake, extensive parkland, and some interesting ruins.
Southwell: Absolutely stunning; in summer it's bedecked with flowers. The minster is my favourite ecclesiastical building - totally unique 'pepper pot' twin towers and a remarkable series of minimalist aluminium table-top sculptures depicting the Stations of the Cross.



No comments:

Post a Comment