Friday, May 18, 2018

Cromford, Fritchley, Crich, Wakebridge, Holloway, and Lea Bridge

I used Bakewell as a base again today to travel further afield and caught the bus to Cromford.

I called in at the mill, photographed the church just a few yards further down the road, and then walked along the canal towpath almost as far as Ambergate.










There's a small museum set up inside the two brake cars on display at High Peak Junction; there's also an information centre and shop...and toilets.





I passed by some impressive canalside properties.



A bit further south I encountered an unusual hazard on the towpath.



When I reached where I thought Ambergate should have been the towpath was blocked by an industrial unit and heavy plant and the footpath took me uphill through the woods and meadows full of buttercups until I reached a village. I didn't know this place was called Fritchley until I got home and checked because by this time I'd fallen off the edge of my map.

I then continued heading north along the road until I reached Crich.







After visiting the church I chose to continue walking along the road to Wakebridge and then took a pleasant footpath to Holloway rather than going straight back down to the canal and re-tracing my steps all the way back to Cromford.

According to the map there was no easy access to Crich Stand from the south and so I didn't attempt to go there. 

I got a good view of a couple of trams as I passed by the entrance to Crich Tramway Village, the National Tramway Museum.



Florence Nightingale at one time lived at Holloway, the next village I reached.





I continued along the road to Lea Bridge and then walked through a wood and a narrow country road back to Cromford, stopping off at the pretty railway station to take some photographs.







No comments:

Post a Comment