Sunday, March 11, 2018

Sandal and Agbrigg Station, Walton, Walton Hall, Anglers Country Park, Royston, Monk Bretton, Monk Bretton Priory, and Stairfoot

It was forecast for light rain in the Peak District today. I didn't fancy that and so went to Sandal and Agbrigg station on the train, just to the south of Wakefield. I left the station and walked past the church and then turned left along Walton Road and headed for the first footpath, which I reached after about a mile.



I picked up the TransPennine Trail at the far edge of Walton and would be staying with it almost until the end of the walk, with only a detour to visit Walton Hall and the parkland, and then Anglers Country Park. The hall is now an upmarket hotel - located on an island in the lake.













For several miles I was walking along the old towpath of the disused Barnsley Canal; at one point I was actually walking in the original canal trough, passing by and through a couple of abandoned locks.

I ordered a couple of toasted slices of fruit loaf from the cafe at Anglers Country Park. There's a large selection of home-made cakes though; the service was quick and the seats comfy...I would certainly recommend visiting here - there are public toilets as well.

I slightly lost my way to the north of Royston and had to cross over the single track railway. I was perfectly safe though; there's only one train a week that uses this line, taking sand to the glassworks at Monk Bretton on a Tuesday. 











As I was taking my photographs at the priory some children were tormenting me by running up to me and loudly shouting 'Pennywise,' the name of a local Barnsley chain of discount shops I'm assuming...although I've never heard of the brand.

This is just the latest incident of abuse I've suffered because of my unusual, awkward, ungainly Aspergic gait. Throughout my life I'm sure this is the aspect of my Asperger's syndrome that's caused me the most problems. People soon spot that there's something not quite right about me and immediately start to draw all sorts of negative conclusions about me and my capabilities.

[I'm convinced that my knees are positioned too low down on my legs, by about a couple of inches.] 

I might move in a strange way that causes so many people to despise me, but it's an efficient way of walking for me...and it's the only way I know: I was able to jog down to the bus stop in time to catch the next bus back to Doncaster.


UPDATE: My brother has just told me that 'Pennywise' is a character from a novel or film, some sort of creepy clown he thinks. 






No comments:

Post a Comment