Monday, February 5, 2018

Clayworth, North Wheatley, Hayton, and Retford

Two consecutive days in the Peak District is a bit too much for me; it's not the walking, it's the getting there and back on public transport that's tiring. So...today I popped down to Nottinghamshire - the weather was forecast to be nicer anyhow. The bus to Retford goes from my local stop and only takes forty minutes, followed by a ten minute wait in the bus station, and then a short fifteen minute trip out to Clayworth. Total expected journey time...sixty five minutes.

Things didn't run to plan, but it wasn't a problem for me though. The number 99 was running about ten minutes late when it arrived at Retford meaning that I might have missed my connection; the number 97 Gainsborough service. However, since the same vehicle is used for both routes I merely got off the bus at the Retford Bus Station, went to the back of the queue and then re-boarded. All in all I arrived at Clayworth only about five minutes late.

I made my way through the village to the church and took some photographs before walking down Church Lane, heading east.









At the far end of the lane I picked up the footpath which led me across the fields to North Wheatley. A section of the route is part of the Trent Valley Way.

There were some good views of two power stations sited on the River Trent, West Burton, the nearer which wasn't generating any power today [I think it might be mothballed] and further away to the south is Cottam.





I entered North Wheatley from the west and walked through the village to reach the church. The church is actually a bit disappointing: it's nothing special to look at and is surrounded by trees and boxed in somewhat by modern buildings - so I found it difficult to find any interesting angles for photographs.





I headed off back in a westerly direction along farm tracks and fields until I reached Hayton. The church here was on the planned route I was taking anyhow.







I then continued down the lane to the canal and walked the final three miles along the towpath back to Retford.




No comments:

Post a Comment