Saturday, December 9, 2017

Barnby Moor, Bilby, Scofton, and Worksop

A last minute change of plan this morning. The original plan was to go to Buxton Christmas Fair with my friend Justin, but after checking the online weather forecast as soon as I'd got up and saw that snow was expected there I changed my mind and went for a walk in Nottinghamshire, in the sun for a couple of hours.

Justin was disappointed, but it would have been dangerous for him with his disability - he struggles enough as it is with walking...even in ideal conditions.

I would have preferred to go walking in the Peak District but by the time Justin had woken up and answered the phone it was too late.

I travelled to Barnby Moor, just a few miles north of Retford. I walked down the Blyth road for a few yards and then took a track leading to the west.


After about a mile I reached the busy A1 trunk road; I timed my arrival perfectly, I got across both carriageways without waiting or even having to break my step. It was open fields for the next mile or so and at one point I discovered a dead sheep at the side of the footpath. I have never seen anything like this before though; the sheep had been totally devoured, everything that could have been eaten had been removed. It was such a clean and efficient job that I can't imagine what animal, or pack of animals, could have done this in England.







I walked along the narrow estate road to Bilby, just a small hamlet.





There's a network of narrow, single track lanes on the Osberton Estate and I needed to check my bearings at every junction or crossroads until I reached Scofton.







It was then about a further two miles along a track and then through a housing estate until I reached Worksop town centre - I did a bit of shopping before heading for the bus station. 

There wasn't a lot to see today but I enjoyed the exercise and the fresh air. 







No comments:

Post a Comment