Sunday, October 8, 2017

Tideswell And Wheston With Maureen And Chris From Leeds

As I was waiting for the bus at Sheffield Interchange a man came over and asked me what time the bus to Hathersage departs. I told him it would be 09:20 and mentioned that was the bus I was also waiting for. He then sat down on one of the seats near to me, but soon got up again as the 273 service arrived at the stand. Although I told him several times that this bus wasn't going to Hathersage he completely ignored what I was saying and proceeded to get on the bus. When the driver explained, and told him which bus he needed, he calmly got off, sat down right next to me and never said a word. I don't know why I bother with people sometimes; what was the point of him asking me for information if he then didn't believe a word I was telling him?

Maureen and Chris arrived at Fox House pretty much on time and we drove over to Tideswell, briefly stopping at Bradwell to use the toilets. There wasn't an empty car parking space near to Fountain Square in the centre of Tideswell so we had to turn round and drive up to the Market Square where there was plenty of room.

We walked up the road towards Wheston and took a bridleway off to the north west to reach Water Lane, a well maintained track.

We were only at Wheston for a few seconds, just crossing over the road and walking a few yards before reaching the next section of the walk, part of the Pennine Bridleway.







After a while all three of us commented that we were surprised at how muddy it was because there hadn't been a lot of rain in Leeds and Doncaster where we live.

Just before the path descended into Miller's Dale we turned left and walked across the fields and then a short section of road until we reached some rather photogenic ruins of a farm.



A short walk down a pleasant dale led us to the road in Tideswell Dale; we were able to use a footpath that runs alongside the road for a few hundred yards before needing to transfer to the pavement for the approach to Tideswell for tea and a scone in one of the cafes..







I asked to be dropped off at Brough on the way back; unfortunately I had to wait for fifty minutes for the next bus to Sheffield but used the time to check my photos and write notes for the blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment