Saturday, October 14, 2017

Gringley on the Hill, Drakeholes, Mattersey, Everton, Harwell, Scaftworth, and Bawtry

The weather forecast was predicting brighter conditions out to the east today and so that's the direction I travelled: I caught the Gainsborough bus and got off at Gringley on the Hill.

Gringley is a pretty village but it was cloudy when I arrived, and the best views were ruined by roadworks and scaffolding and so I only took the one photograph.



I soon found the footpath across the fields and then walked down the road to Gringley Lock - by this time the sun was shining.



I ate my food in a sheltered spot at the side of the towpath about thirty minutes later - I had some sandwiches made from a Kentish apple and sultana loaf. This was very nice; I haven't had it before, I had it with just butter...nothing else.

I left the canal at Drakeholes and walked along the road towards Mattersey.





I reached a path going up Pusto Hill and then took another coming back down again...but a few hundred yards nearer to Mattersey.

The approach to the village along a footpath which runs parallel to the road is delightful.













After lingering in the churchyard for a few minutes I left Mattersey by taking the road that leads northwards to Everton.





Unfortunately there's a lot of scaffolding up at the church at Everton and so this shot was just about the only angle I could get.





I walked across the fields to Harwell and then took the lane which leads up on to Barrow Hills, an area of woodland where at the moment there are a lot of chestnuts just ready for gathering.



I came down to the main Bawtry to Gainsborough road and immediately saw the turn-off for Scaftworth. After sitting down for a few minutes on a bench on the village green, across from the pub, I continued walking along the road until I reached Bawtry and caught the next bus going back to Doncaster.






No comments:

Post a Comment