Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Peak District Namesakes

This is just a bit a fun for the blog, I've not done any research - it's just a list of the places I can think of at the moment.


Ashford-in-the-Water, near Bakewell - Well the most obvious place called 'Ashford' is in Kent; it has an international railway station for highspeed trains to the continent. I think there's also an 'Ashford' in Leicestershire and are probably several more up and down the country.

Blackwell, near Tideswell - There's another Blackwell further south in Derbyshire; I know nothing about it except that it's location won't be as scenic.

Bradwell, in the Hope Valley - There's also a Bradwell on the east coast in Suffolk; I think there's a nuclear power station there...Sizewell B maybe.

Bretton, near Eyam - The Yorkshire Sculpture Park is located at West Bretton; I've been there many times.

Castleton - I know of two other places called 'Castleton'. One is a village in the North York Moors and the other is on the outskirts of Manchester. Unlike the Castleton in the Peak District they both have railway stations, the one in Manchester on the Network Rail network and the one further north on the North York Moors Heritage Railway.

Fenny Bentley - There's a suburb of Doncaster called 'Bentley' - it's a large former pit village. I think there's also somewhere called 'Bentley' down south.

Litton, near Tideswell - there's also a village called 'Litton' in the Yorkshire Dales and I've actually visited it on the only occasion I've been walking in the Dales.

Middleton - I know of three places called 'Middleton' in the Peak District and I've visited them all; Stoney Middleton near to Eyam, Middleton-by-Youlgreave, and Middleton-by-Wirksworth. I'm sure there are many places called 'Middleton' elsewhere; the only one I can think of though is to the south of Leeds - there's a railway heritage centre there.

Newhaven - There's a port on the south coast, in either Kent or Sussex, that has the same name.

Stoke, near Grindleford - all that remains of this settlement is Stoke Hall and a few associated buildings. Of course its much larger namesake is Stoke-on-Trent in Staffordshire. There's also a village in Lincolnshire called East Stoke where the last battle of the Wars of the Roses was fought. 

Thorpe; a very common placename - There's a location close to Doncaster called 'Thorpe Marsh.' There used to be a large power station there; it's been demolished and it's now a nature reserve. There's also a hamlet a few miles away called Thorpe-in-Balne, and two more villages with 'Thorpe' in their name, both of them fairly local - Thorpe Salvin halfway between Rotherham and Worksop, and Thorpe Audlin near Pontfract. There's also a theme park in Surrey [I think] called 'Thorpe Park'.  


I'm sure this list is a long way from being complete; does anyone have any places they could add?


No comments:

Post a Comment