Sunday, September 10, 2017

Newstead Abbey and Southwell

This weekend has been the Heritage Open Days weekend when many buildings and attractions offer free admission. I didn't manage to visit anywhere yesterday because I was meeting up with friends in Sheffield, but today I was able to go to Newstead Abbey with my support worker. It was of course free entry to the house and gardens, but I still had to pay £6 for parking.

We arrived at 11:15 and ate our sandwiches before having a look at some old cars which were there for a classic cars rally. 

The first photograph I took though was of the stables block which has now been converted into luxury flats.


























We only spent forty minutes looking round the house, there's not that much to see and it's certainly not one of the better heritage properties I've visited Newstead Abbey was the home of the well-known poet Lord Byron and many of the paintings and displays feature him; both myself and Siobhan agreed that he was an ugly man to look at...and probably quite a nasty person as well.

We spent a few minutes walking round the gardens and grounds, but ended up hurrying back to the car because it was cold and drizzling.

We then set off for Southwell, travelling there along rural roads to get there...and getting lost two or three times.

Our regular cafe was closed, so we had to pop in to another one for our cream teas.












No comments:

Post a Comment