Sunday, December 9, 2012

Moscar Moor, Hathersage, Leadmill, and Bamford.



The train was late departing from Doncaster this morning; we did eventually set off after a delay of fifteen minutes. The guard announced that we were due to arrive in Sheffield at 08:53: my bus was due at 08:52 and so I had to plan an alternative walk, catching a later bus. Fortunately there's another bus heading for the Peak District only ten minutes later, going along a different route.

Although it was quite sunny in Sheffield, when I got off the bus at the county boundary on Moscar Moor it was raining; almost horizontally due to the strong wind. The weather forecast was for an improvement before lunch; half an hour later the rain had stopped, and the sun was shining well before I reached Hathersage.

I was a bit disappointed that there was no snow where I was walking; I did however soon see my first snow of the winter on the flanks of Bleaklow in the distance.

I headed southwards towards Stanage Edge, but took the path that goes along the bottom of the cliff; it was slightly more sheltered...but still windy and exposed. On the path down to Dennis Knoll I encountered my first people of the walk, a group of sturdy fellrunners heading uphill.

By now the sun was shining and Stanage Edge was looking magnificent: it was a shame that it was behind me, but this gave me an excuse to make frequent stops to admire the view and take photographs.

I arrived at Hathersage just before midday and headed straight for Cintra's Tearooms where I ordered a cooked breakfast, served with a pot of tea [with an additional pot of hot water - enough for four large cups in total] and a plateful of toast, complete with butter and marmalade.

I made my way out of Hathersage on Station Road, popping into the baker's shop for an apple turnover. I was soon at Leadmill and noticed that several fields were flooded; I thought my way ahead might be flooded...and I was proven to be correct in my assumption.

I crossed over the bridge and took the path that goes along the riverbank. It wasn't long until the path was flooded.


I found a stick to gauge the depth, and estimated it to be about 18 inches; just a bit too deep for me. However, I noticed some prominent exposed tree roots on the bank and used these to secure a footing; meaning that I could avoid the deepest part of the water and only ended up wading through about a foot of the River Derwent. I've watched all of the Indiana Jones films and I don't recall Harrison Ford ever having to do this.

By the way, for those of you who know the area, the photo was taken after I had successfully passed this obstacle - the sun was at a better angle facing this direction.

There are some lovely views along the next section of the walk; the photograph shows Bamford Edge and Win Hill.



I continued along the path to reach the bottom of Shatton Lane, and then walked along the road back to the bus-stop at Bamford station.

No comments:

Post a Comment