Sunday, December 16, 2012

Calver, Cavendish Mill, Eyam, and Stoke.

There were some lovely views at the start of today's walk as I took the footpath that goes to the north of Calver Peak. The views looking towards Stoney Middleton were perfectly illuminated by the sunshine.



The views continued in the direction of Grindleford too.



As I climbed higher I even caught a glimpse of the mist that was still lingering down by the River Derwent; the photographs I took weren't any good though.

This section was very easy to walk, as was the next section along the quarry track going westwards until I reached Black Harry Lane, which is a bit of a climb, but nothing too challenging. At the top of the lane I turned left and followed the path which goes alongside some retaining earthworks which have something to do with the quarry.

There was a bit of activity in one of the workshops at Cavendish Mill: I read somewhere that quarrying and the processing of minerals no longer takes place here...but there was still a lot of heavy plant secured there.

I headed down the new road which goes down to Middleton Dale. This road isn't depicted on my map...but I was aware of its existence and so wanted to explore a bit. Towards the bottom I got some spectacular views of the rocky pinnacles, caused by historical quarrying, which line both sides of the valley. From one particular vantage point I briefly imagined that I might be viewing the location of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's 'The Lost World.'



I crossed the main road which goes along the bottom of the dale and climbed up the footpath at the other side. In places this path was a bit dangerous because of the slippery autumn leaves...and the long drops as well, should I fall!

At the top of the cliff it was a short walk across fields and then down lanes into Eyam, where I headed for the 'Eyam Tearooms' at the far end of the village. They were closed today though and so I went in the Village Green Tearooms instead. I've not been in here before and found the choice on the menu to be rather limited; and some items weren't even available anyhow. I ordered a pot of tea, a toasted teacake with butter and lemon marmalade, and a slice of Bakewell tart. When I told the young waitress that it was the best marmalade I'd ever tasted she told me that her mum makes it. Her mum was clearing the table behind me and was rather embarrassed. Maybe I ought to have been a bit embarrassed a few minutes earlier myself when I had a bit of an accident.  As I was pouring the last few drops out of the teapot I tipped it at such an angle that the lid fell into my cup, making a loud noise and causing quite a splash all over the tablecloth. For a few seconds all conversation ceased as everyone looked in my direction...I looked at my map for solace.

As I left  Eyam I noticed that the sky had partially clouded over and it was a bit chilly. I walked past the Riley Graves, where a family is buried - victims of the plague which killed so many people in Eyam, and  continued down to the main road at Stoke Hall where I caught the bus back to Sheffield.

No comments:

Post a Comment