Saturday, May 29, 2021

Askern, Braithwaite, Kirkhouse Green, and Hawkhouse Green

Today's walk has been a local themed walk featuring trees. I travelled the seven miles to Askern, a placename that's a combination of Old Norse and Old English and means 'house near an ash tree.'

After getting off the bus at the boating lake I  took  the footpath going east, to the south of some houses, and after a mile briefly passed through Alder Wood.







I walked through some lovely wildflower meadows...and there would be more to come.




This horse wasn't being bothered by the flies and the alpacas were just a bit curious.








I continued to Mill Dike Bridge near Trumfleet and then walked along the road, soon passing Willow Bridge Farm and then Willow Bridge.






It wasn't long until I  reached Braithwaite.




I walked along the towpath, heading north; there were several boats on the canal.










After about a mile I took a footpath heading off to the left; I didn't get far though until the path became waterlogged and overgrown. So, I returned to the towpath and then walked along the road to Kirkhouse Green. 

This lorry was just approaching the mobile homes park there.




I continued along the road for a few more minutes before taking a rather overgrown, but passable path to Hawkhouse Green. According to the map there's an 'Ash Hill Farm' there.




There's a Fir Tree Farm at Moss, but I stayed to the south of the village, using back lanes and then the direct road to get back to Askern. 


No comments:

Post a Comment