Friday, April 16, 2021

Kendray, Worsbrough, Rockley, and Returning to Kendray

I travelled to Kendray near Barnsley again this morning and went walking in the same area that I did on Monday...I really liked the area and it was good to get out into the hills again, although it's actually quite a few miles away from the higher hills of the Peak District though. This time I got off the bus at Kendray Hospital and took a footpath that goes alongside the boundary wall, heading south towards Worsbrough.

The footpath was surprisingly rural in places considering its proximity to Barnsley town centre.










This church isn't the mediaeval one that's in the old part of Worsbrough, about a mile away.






I walked down the main road for a few minutes and then briefly along the Dove Valley Trail until I reached a path that went to the left and along the dam wall of Worsbrough Reservoir where there's a very detailed information panel at 'the end of the pier.'  










My photographs of the text didn't turn out very well but you can just about read the panels.



















I continued along the southern shore of the reservoir. Looking at the map it seemed that there might be a tunnel going under the motorway, but there wasn't...so I had to stick with the path going right next to the motorway for about a mile - there was some decent countryside though.











 
I eventually reached a road which passed under the motorway. After a few hundred yards, over to the left in a wood are Rockley Engine House and Furnace.


 







I then headed westwards and did some of the same route I did on Monday, but in the opposite direction. As I approached Crane Moor I was back on unexplored paths, in fact I was soon beyond the edge of the map coverage and was having to use guesswork and line of sight navigation to find the old railway line that's now used as a cycleway and walking trail.






















It was quite a steep climb up to Locke Park and then a gentler descent to Doncaster Road, where I caught a bus back home.






No comments:

Post a Comment