Sunday, January 12, 2020

Hathersage Road, Nether Padley, Upper Padley, and Bamford

The aim of today's walk, another of my themed walks, was to walk in as many local authority areas as I could manage. My total has been four; I don't think it's possible for me to fit in any more than that number in the Peak District but I think I might be able to reach five on a local walk, travelling not too far from my home in Doncaster.

Today I travelled to the bus stop on Hathersage Road going out of Sheffield which is nearest to the boundary of the Peak District; obviously the local authority here is Sheffield City Council. I walked down through the woods and then climbed up onto Totley Moor and crossed into North East Derbyshire after just over a mile. 





[I struggled getting across these stepping stones down in the bottom of the valley.]



It had just about finished raining when I got off the bus but by the time I had reached the open moorland of Blacka Moor things were brightening up.





Near to a location known as Wooden Pole is where the boundaries of Sheffield, North East Derbyshire, and Derbyshire Dales all meet. I walked down the road that forms the boundary between the latter two and then went through a gate leading to White Edge Lodge...and entered into Derbyshire Dales. 



A few minutes later I was standing on the flat grassy top of Tumbling Hill, one of my favourite places in the Peak District to to take photos.







I made my way down to Grindleford Station and then Upper Padley before descending to the Derwent Valley Heritage Way,  which goes right alongside the river. After about three miles I crossed over into High Peak Borough and continued to Shatton Lane and then the bus turnaround across from Bamford Station.

Along this final stretch there were some lovely views, both in front of me, and behind me.








No comments:

Post a Comment