Friday, April 19, 2019

Hoylandswaine, Penistone, Cubley, Midhopestones, Bolsterstone, and Wharncliffe Side

The day didn't get off to a good start; the Barnsley bus was ten minutes late arriving at the bus station and then the driver wouldn't let anyone get on...he just drove off.  So, I had to wait another twenty minutes for the next one. There were no problems with this bus, neither with the one I caught at Barnsley to go to Hoylandswaine. I walked through the village and found a footpath leading over to the Penistone Boundary Walk, passing the farm shop en route.



It was about a mile until I reached Penistone. There was a stretch of road and then I continued along the southern fringes of the town and just briefly entered Cubley. At High Lea Farm  I had to wait for quite a few minutes for the farmer and his workers to move a few dozen cows from the cowsheds into a nearby field - I'm always wary of cows and so stayed well clear.



There was a good view of the railway viaduct a bit later..


I passed over an eighteenth century packhorse bridge.



Ye Olde Mustard Pot pub at Midhopestones was closed and boarded up and so I had to face the long uphill walk to the top of the moors without refreshment. I then headed for Bolsterstone, briefly entering the Peak District for a few hundred yards.



This time the pub was open and so I popped in for a pint of Diet Pepsi. I left Bolsterstone, still going eastwards and staying on high ground with views of More Hall Reservoir below me to the right.

I arrived at Wharncliffe Side on the main road at the bottom of the valley and started my journey home to Doncaster from there; two buses, a tram and a train...and a lot of waiting and confusion because it's the first day of track renewal work for the trams at Hillsborough.




  

No comments:

Post a Comment