Monday, April 20, 2015

A Visit To Gainsborough Old Hall

I've just got back from a visit to Gainsborough Old Hall with Siobhan, one of my support workers; it's our first trip out this summer. I've visited the hall once before, a few years ago. At that time admission was free, it now costs £5.50 at the concessionary rate - and it's not really very good value for what there is to see.






Obviously we didn't do much walking today; the climb up the spiral staircase to the tower roof got me a bit out of breath though.



At the other side of the pleasant square the unusual parish church is located. Architecturally it's a mixture of mediaeval and seventeenth century styles. Inside it looks, and feels, more like a sumptuous palace ballroom than a church.






Unfortunately my indoor flash shots didn't turn out right at all.

We then walked into town and I got some bargains from the charity shops, and then returned to the car via the riverside.

Here's an information board telling you about the Aegir, the Trent tidal bore.


No comments:

Post a Comment