Sunday, August 25, 2013

Baslow, Beeley Hilltop, Beeley, and Rowsley.

Well...I tried to get to Fairholmes again today, but I failed again. My train was delayed again so I had to make alternative plans. I'd already got a second choice walk worked out though, I always have; catch the 215 service to Chatsworth House. On the bus it was standing room only, although I did get a seat. It was an uncomfortable journey though, I couldn't move at all and soon got cramp and pins and needles...so I got off early at Baslow Nether End and walked into the northern part of Chatsworth Park, climbing up through the woods to reach the Hunting Tower.  The weather was a bit disappointing all day, quite hazy, and so the views weren't very clear.

I continued walking along one of the well-maintained tracks that goes through the woods, to reach Beeley Moor. I walked down across the access land to Beeley Hilltop and then descended further across the fields to Beeley. In the village I met two flowerpot men and called for refreshments at the Devonshire Arms.



The path towards Fallinge starts in grassy fields but then reaches woodland as it gets higher; there's a switchback near to the top which I missed. I considered climbing over the wall which was blocking my way, but decided to double back and look for the stile.

I somehow actually missed Fallinge and ended up taking a path and then a track leading down through woodland to the road. Due to my trying to remember the route, rather than looking at the map, I took the wrong path, the path which leads down to Rowsley, instead of going further south to Northwood. Never mind...it meant I had enough time to pop into the Peak Village Shopping Centre for a cup of tea - the service was slow and so I had to gulp it down to make sure I didn't miss the bus. It was very busy at Chatsworth; the carparks were full and cars were parked on the grass. There were people everywhere; families walking dogs, playing games and having picnics: there were a lot of tents and marquees being erected...and a temporary footbridge across the river. Two dozen passengers got on at Chatsworth House and another twenty two at Bakewell; yet TM Travel, the bus operator, will insist that some of the Peak District services aren't economically viable.

No comments:

Post a Comment