Sunday, December 12, 2010

Houndkirk Moor, Ringinglow and Limb Valley


One of the advantages of using a concessionary travel pass is that I don't need to state my destination when I get on a bus. Today I wasn't sure what the conditions would be like on the moors and so decided to look through the bus window and make a decision on the spot. I was surprised at how little snow still remained on even the highest parts of the moors, considering that some of the side streets here in Doncaster are still icy in places, so I got off at Houndkirk Moor, the highest point of the 272 route to Castleton.

For the first half an hour or so of the walk I was passed by several dozen mountain bikers - I later discovered that there was an organised time trial of some sorts. I ate my sandwiches near to the Ox Stones, south of Ringinglow, a hundred yards or so off the main track, well out of the way of the bikes.

About half a mile further on my rather circuitous route I came across a toposcope which indicated that on a clear day I'd be able to see as far as the Humber Bridge, fifty two miles away...today wasn't a clear day though. It also stated what the altitude above sea level was - my GPS measured it as nearly a hundred foot higher though.


Near to Ringinglow I walked by an interesting sign; I wasn't tempted though, knowing that I had a casserole waiting for me in the slow cooker when I got home. If alpaca had been on the menu I might have stopped for a bite, there were certainly plenty of them grazing in nearby fields.

The last couple of miles was a gentle descent through the Limb Valley to Whirlow, where there were plenty of buses running to Sheffield.

1 comment:

  1. I'm making a flyer for a new Masters course at Birmingham City University and wondered if you might give me permission to use the signpost image at the top of this blogpost? http://peakwalking.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/houndkirk-moor-ringinglow-and-limb.html

    You can contact me at: Mark.Reed@bcu.ac.uk

    Thanks!

    Mark

    ReplyDelete